Friday, March 19, 2010

Just Call Me Tiffany Mills-Lohan

This is my favorite room in the house, the screened porch. There's something about it that makes me feel all sorts of giddy. 
I guess it brings back all those memories of summer camp in screened cabins, staying up late with my camp friends and sneaking into other cabins to pour honey all over our unsuspecting fellow campers. Except that I never went to summer camp in a screened cabin. But I did see both productions of The Parent Trap. In reality, I love my screened porch because it reminds me of The Parent Trap. I realize what this means about me.
Yesterday, I de-winterized the screened porch and brought the furniture back in. I sat on the little couch for a while, soaking in the spring sun and thinking about that time when my identical twin sister and I found each other after years apart and cooked up a scheme to get our parents together.

And then I remembered again that, in fact, I have no identical twin sister and my parents have always been together. In Utah. 

Then, I looked over at the table and remembered that hilarious night when my sister and I made our parents eat dinner together. They ate at that very table while she and I played the guitar and sang, "Let's get together, yeah, yeah, yeah, we could have a lot of fu-un!" 

Wait a minute--I'm doing it again, aren't I? 

I'm going to interrupt this blog post to make an/another embarrassing confession: Yes, we are the type of people who buy a statue that looks like our dog.
I feel better getting that off my chest.

Back to the blog post. 

Does it bother you that the table is not centered in front of the couch, and that the tray on the table is not centered on the table? 
I did that intentionally, to annoy my very rigid identical twin sister. She grew up in Boston with our mother and grandparents and let's just say that she's very "particular" especially compared to my laid-back California ranch upbringing with Dad. This picture is going to drive her NUTS! Tee-hee!

You know, if she actually existed.

21 comments:

DeAnn said...

I just want to know if the fake Lucy messes with the real lucy's head?

tiburon said...

That really is a lovely room. I heart it so.
Except for the non-centering...

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

The view from the room is what I want. It's so country. And I'm really wanting a statue of Rukkus now too.

Happy Weeekend, Tiff!

The Coolest Allen Family said...

I love screened in porches. The only time I have ever had one was when we lived in Florida.

We bought a look-a-like statue of our dog years ago. Now that he is gone, I am so happy we did. It is better than stuffing them, right? :)

Dede said...

I love your house! I wish I was there...right...now.

Hil said...

What a beautiful room... If I ever have to get my gal bladder out, I am coming to your house and will never leave that room! The view!!

Christy said...

I loved it -- the screen porch, the dog statue, the twin sister. I love it all! I smiled all the way through this.

Anneliese said...

i would like to stay at your house. just to hang out on this awesome porch!!

Kayla said...

What an amazing porch! I want to come with a cup of tea and a book and curl up.

Becky said...

Funny! You know, that room is my favorite room in your house too!

Kim said...

I think it's fine that you have delusions of having a twin sister and living The Parent Trap. We all need a pretend world. Just remember, they do have medications for this as well. Love your porch.

michele said...

LOVE the porch, but you really should keep a couple of sticks around to scare away the wild animals.

Shauna said...

I dream of having a porch like that. Beautiful.

Tiffany said...

Michele--BRILLIANT REFERENCE! I'm totally going to bring two sticks in to scare off the the cougars.

Mia said...

Beautiful! I love screened in porches. I think this officially made the list for my next house.

Omgirl said...

Now listen here, Missy. It's very mean of you to post a picture of an off-centered couch from 2500 miles away! I can't run over and straighten it. And it is making me batty thinking that it might still be that way. Please, oh plaease, straighten it out! Not that I care or anything. I'm not, like, OCD or anything. (Is it straight yet???)

Miranda said...

Are you kidding me? That room is awesome! Now I'm going to spend all summer in my back yard pretending it is a screened porch.

Alison said...

I am getting a screened porch. Looking at yours and not knowing when I am going to get and come and sit in it is........................ BUGGY! Screen or no screen. Then after I get mine I am going to post pictures and you can think about sitting on my porch , eating banana pancakes. So there!

Alison said...

P.S. I really thought that was Lucy at first glance.

Kellybee said...

That screened porch would make an excellent yoga room. It is beautiful!

Angie said...

Your porch is gorgeous and I am all kinds of jealous.

For a second I thought you had actually bronzed the dog. It would stop all of that chewing on things.

Related Posts with Thumbnails