Monday, September 12, 2011

Of Blogs and Burritos

I won't bore you with the details, but Wynonna Judd made me feel better about blogging again. I haven't felt the itch to blog the way I used to and I wondered (once again) if it was time to let it go. Lately I've been expressing my creativity through food instead of blogging, concocting meals that made me laugh and smile and occasionally cry the way my blog used to. I've discovered a latent knack for pastas, salads, sauces, and cookies. Something about the temporary nature of a good meal speaks to me right now. Because if I've learned anything of late, it's that you have to find joy in the moment. And sometimes the joy of that one little moment stands in stark juxtaposition to the greater background of the present time. As in, life might be a giant ball of prickly awful, but if you happen to have a good burrito in the midst of it? Well, that's a gift.

Back to Wynonna. She said something that stuck to my ribs like good southern soul food. (I can't tell you what it was because it's a special secret between Wynonna and me.) And the misgivings I had about putting my fingers to the keyboard flitted away. Gone. Oprah would call that an "Aha! Moment," but we've all forgotten who Oprah is by now. Let's call it an epiphany because it's more fun to say and it rhymes with my name.

So, I'm going to come back here with frequency. And I'm going to flex my creative muscles in word and dish. Because if I can do that, despite anything that's going on in the background? Well, that's a gift.

P.S. Want to see pictures of the day my face almost melted off in Chicago? Here's outside the jelly bean.
DSCN0702
And here's inside the jelly bean. I loved the jelly bean.

DSCN0698
P.P.S. I'm craving jelly beans.

14 comments:

Emily said...

Yay, you're back!

Hil said...

That Wynonna, what an inspiration she is to us all. ;) SO glad you are back!!

Katy {and Kahler} said...

yes!!!

you will be so fabulous at this. i love the way you write/reason/process. and i love food. putting the two together has to produce good outcomes.

plus, I'm kinda like you- finding more and more joy from the food in my life. i can't wait to see what you come up with. :)

Kate said...

Confession: I haven't baked a thing for eight months, and I've only cooked a meal with more than three ingredients a few times in those eight months.

But I've written a lot of blog posts. Blogging is cheaper than groceries when you're in college.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Yay! I'm so happy to hear this!

Now I'm dying to see that giant bean and to hear Wynona's words.

Kim said...

I've been wondering where you've been...I guess you've been in Chicago. Love Chicago!

Jesse C said...

So glad to hear it sister.

Becky said...

This post just made my terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day so much better. I'm so glad you're back!

Lindy-Lou said...

Oh, this is such good news!!! Welcome back, dear Tiffany!!!
PS Burritos and we go way back, eh?

Alyssa said...

I love the bean! Even though my Chicago living brother tried to tell me it is not a bean . . . whatever. Happy to see you writing again!

Angie said...

I love the bean, too! And I'm glad you're back.

Mia said...

I'm always happy to see you writing.

DeAnn said...

I completely support you simply posting pictures of the food you create when you don't feel like writing.

Omgirl said...

I've been too busy with not-sleeping, baby feeding, driving my suddenly-so-old kids to and from school, and listing maternity clothes on ebay, which takes FOREVER, to even notice you weren't blogging. But now that I know that you weren't and that you are again, I'm thrilled! (It's so great to miss everything, she notes with sarcasm).

Related Posts with Thumbnails